Centre for Economic Growth & Management Studies
The activities of the Centre are organized in three inter-related areas of Research (including advisory services), Training and Publication (including dissemination of knowledge). The Centre undertakes sponsored research studies generally from Governments at Union, State and Local level, Constitutional Bodies and multi lateral & bi-lateral organizations on contemporary economic issues of public concern. It also conducts research on its own to find solutions in difficult decision-making areas. The Centre offers advisory services in areas of public economics and provides the necessary hand-holding in implementation of schemes, programmes and project in both Government and private sectors. It conducts a large number of long and short-duration training programmes in areas of public economics, finance and management.
Following are the objectives of the Centre
- To promote and provide for the study of Public Economics, Finance and Management with special reference to public policy, governance & administration and the machinery of government and educational purposes incidental thereto.
- To organize and facilitate short and long term courses, seminars, conferences and lectures and research in matters relating to public economics, finance and management.
- To undertake the publication of journals, research papers and books in economic and financial aspects to promote the study of public policy, governance & administration
- To facilitate public economics, finance and management and award good practices in public policy, governance & administration
- To cooperate with approved institutions and bodies for the purposes of helping the cause of public economics, finance and management.
- Lead 46th Advanced Professional Programme in Public Administration as Co-Programme Director for10 Months (July 1, 2020 to 30 April 2021) with 29 Officials from IA, IAF, INS, ICG, IES, IRS, MES and ITS cadres.
- First International Training Programme on Finance for Non-Finance Background Leaders (Online) for 1 week (March 08 to 12, 2021) under E-ITEC Programme of MEA, Government of India for 40 Professionals from 16 Countries.
- First International Training Programme on Data Analytics for Beginners (Online) for one week (March 22 to 26, 2021) under E-ITEC Programme of MEA, Government of India for 42 Professionals from 23 Countries.
- Stream on Public Finance with ten sessions in 46th Advanced Professional Programme in Public Administration
- Stream on Cooperative Federalism with ten sessions in 46th Advanced Professional Programme in Public Administration
- Lead 9th Financial Management Program for Scientists & Technologists (Online) (November 23 to 27, 2020) funded by DST, GoI, for 34 Senior Scientists, Technologist, Faculty members from AIIMS, Delhi, ICAR, ISRO, DST, ICMR, IMD etc.
- Revamped stream on Operations Management in 46th APPPA in blended mode.
- Designed and developed new blended stream on Financial Management in 46th APPPA.
- Designed and developed new blended stream on Management of Public Sector Enterprises along in 46th APPPA. The stream has given a unique experience of visit to various CPSEs, Joint Ventures and Private Sector Organizations.
- Organized 4 Panel Discussions in APPPA on various Flagship scheme of Government of India.
- Capacity development Programme on Advanced Data Analysis for Public Administrators of Government of NCT of Delhi Government of NCT Delhi for one week (September 21-25, 2020) for twenty five administrators.
- Redesigned the stream on Research Methodology & Research Methods: Quantitative, Qualitative Methods & Dissertation Protocols for 46th APPPA in blended mode.
- Designed and developed new blended stream on Data Analytics for Public Administrators in 46th APPPA.
- Organized and coordinated Town Hall Discussion on New Education Policy: Implementation Challenges and Way forward
- Organized a Webinar on “ Strategic and Altruistic CSR: Post Pandemic Challenges and Opportunities for Public Sector Undertakings”
- Organized a Webinar on “Covid-19 and Role of Local Governments” on 27 May 2020. Dr M Ramachandran and Dr S M Vijayanand were lead speakers. Dr V N Alok initiated the discussion. Shri S N Tripathi moderated.
- 12 February 2021 (Online) delivered a talk as Key-note Speaker in a “Panel Discussion on Union Budget 2021” organized by School of Economics, Devi Ahilya University, Indore.
- 11 January 2021 at Delhi Delivered a talk on ‘Fiscal Federalism and Corona-Crises’ to probationers of Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Island Civil Service (DANICS), 56 batch at Directorate of Training, Delhi.
- 15 December 2020 Delivered a talk on 'Covid-19 and Indian Federalism' in an online global event 'Turn on Federalism' organised by Hanns Seidel Foundation and 50 Shades of Federalism. The talk and question-answer session were simultaneously translated into French, Myanmar and Spanish for hundreds of viewers from various countries in all continents.
- 12 December 2020 Presided over a technical session in virtual mode on "Issues of Leadership Finance and Decentralization Reforms in Pandemic Era' in an international webinar on 'Rethinking the Role of Local Governments in a Post Covid-19 World' organized by the Central University of Kerala and Centre for Rural Management, Kottayam during 10-14 December 2020
- 26 November 2020 Delivered talk in virtual mode on State Finance Commissions and Rural Development organized by the Mumbai School of Economics and Public Policy, University of Bombay.
- 31 August 2020 Panellist live on NDTV in a discussion before the announcement of GDP estimate for the 1st quarter of fiscal 2020-21.
- 30 July 2020 Key-note Speaker in a national webinar on ‘Integration of Monetary Policy and Fiscal Policy for Aatm Nirbhar Bharat, organized by AKS University, Satna.
- 13 May 2020 Panellist live on NDTV in a discussion during the Union Finance Minister, Mrs Nirmala Sitaraman’ presentation of the economic package to give relief arising out of Corona pandemic
- An Ecological Study for the Association of Long Term PM2. 5 with COVID-19 Mortality at the District Level in India. Climatological, Meteorological, and Environmental factors in the COVID-19 pandemic: An international virtual symposium on drivers, predictability and actionable information, 4-6 August 2020, organized by World Metrological Organisation.
- Association of Air Pollution with COVID-19 Morbidity and Mortality at the Smart Cities in India: An Ecological Study, International e-conference on Environmental Determinants of Infectious Diseases (focus COVID-19), 7th to 10th December 2020, International Institute of Health Management Research, New Delhi & National Institutes of Health (NIH), United States
- Study to evaluate ‘Information and Public Awareness Programme’ of the Union Ministry of New & Renewable Energy funded by the I&PA Division of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India.
- Study to evaluate central sector scheme on ‘Civic Action Programme in Areas other than North East and Jammu & Kashmir’ funded by the Police Finance-II Division of Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Study to evaluate central sector scheme on ‘Advertising and Publicity in North Eastern Region’ funded by the North East Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Study to evaluate central sector scheme on ‘Civic Action Programme in North Eastern Region’ funded by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Study to evaluate central sector scheme on ‘Helicopter Services in North Eastern Region’ funded by the North East Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Evaluation of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- Impact Assessment Study of CSR 'Project for Employment Oriented Training and Skill Development Programme for SC/ST/OBC/Women & EWS, Power Finance Corporation Limited.
- Rapid Assessment of Swastha Nagrik Abhiyan (SNA) erstwhile IEC Scheme of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, NITI Aayog
- Intended and Unintended Implications of CSR Regulation in India: Regulator and Regulated Perspectives, Deakin University, Australia
- Evaluation of National AIDS Control Program IV, NACO, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India
- Third Party Evaluation of Augmentation of Training Facilities at ISTM Scheme, ISTM, DOPT, Government of India
- NeGP awareness and Skill Development program for District Level SC/ST officials through state Administrative Training Institutes (ATI), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology Government of India
- Evaluation of Pensioners Portal, Department of Pension & Pensioners' Welfare, GOI
- Impact Estimation of SAP India Contribution in Indian Economy, SAP India
- Writing Case on “Using Digital Space for Innovating Traditional Product: A Case Study of MMTC PAMP's Digital Gold”
- Writing Case study on “CSR and Sustainable Development Practices in CPSEs: A Case Study of NHPC Ltd.”
- Third party evaluation of Schemes of Department of Posts, Department of Posts, Government of India
- Study on “Design of Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers to Rural Local Governments and Resource Gaps” funded by the 15th Finance Commission
- Study on “Measurers to Augment Resources of Local Governments” funded by NITI Aayog (Formerly Planning Commission)
- Short term assignment as lead fiscal expert for the Forum of Federations, an International Network on Federalism based in Ottawa, Canada, to make key note presentations on ‘International Practices on Revenue Assignments, Fiscal Decentralizations and Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers in Federations’ in a workshop on ‘Fiscal Federalism: Negotiating Constitutional Arrangements for Somalia’ to a Federal Negotiation Technical Committee comprising policy makers, academics, and members of civil society organizations.
- Assignment on ‘Study of Recommendations of various State Finance Commissions and their Implementation status across the country” Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India
- Case Study on Tadipatri Municipality Ananthapuramu, A.P.
- Case Study on Enhancing Customer Satisfaction using Kaizen: A Case Study of Imperial Tobacco Company (ITC), submitted in Journal of Advances in management Research, Emerald Publication.
- Unfunded Research on ‘Structural Change in the Indian Economy through Intertemporal Comparison of Input-Output Transactionally’.
- Unfunded Research on ‘’Study of various aspects of Rural Industrialisation’
- Case Study on Cooperative Development of Fresh Water Fisheries by Displaced Tribals in Madhya Pradesh,” December, 1998.
- Case Study on “Financial status of Gram Panchayats-A Case of Tellapur gram Panchayat in Andhra Pradesh”, June 1995.
- Case Study on The legitimate and not so legitimate viability of a fair price shop. Included in reading material for orientation programme on policy analysis and administration of the public distribution system, November 8-15, 1991, IIPA-UPAA Nainital).
- Case Study on “Case Studies on the public distribution system”, D.O.P. Training Management 1991.
- Case Study on Dry Farming on Watershed Basis in Village Brichchiawas, Pisangan Block, District Ajmer, Rajasthan.
- Dry Land Farming and Silvi-Pasture Development-village Sarana, Block Bhinai, District Ajmer, Rajasthan.
- Introduction of Watershed based dry farming technology in Semaranala Watershed in Sanchi Block, District Raisen, Madhya Pradesh
- “Integrated Horticultural Development Project- Pipaliya, Mira, Sehore, Madhya Pradesh”.
- Project on pulses development in Sanchi Block, District Raisen, Madhya Pradesh.
- Case Study on ‘A case study in the Application of Zero Base Budgeting’, March, 1990. Finance & Accounts Chronicle, Lucknow, October.
- Panchayat Finances in India: Empirical Assessment 2018-19, New Delhi, NITI Aayog and IIPA. ISBN 978-81-946138-0-0
- Emerging scope of local governments in India’s fiscal architecture in Corona-crisis. https://government.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/governance/emerging-scope-of-local-governments-in-indias-fiscal-architecture-in-corona-crises/76638753
- ‘Enlarge role of local governments in handling crisis’ https://www.dailypioneer.com/2020/columnists/enlarge-role-of-local-govts-in-handling-crisis.html
- ‘Local governments must have a key role to fight Covid-19.
- Covid-19 and Federalism in India’ in 50 Shades of Federalism.
- Is the Indian corporate social responsibility law working for the public sector? Public Money & Management, 1-10.
- Managing natural disaster risk with earthquake damage scenarios and shakeout exercises: Lessons from Mw= 8 Mandi multi-stakeholders’ scenario in India. International Journal of Population Studies, 6(1), 30-41
- “Google and Antitrust: Evidence from India”, Accepted for publication in Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, Springer International Publishing. (Print + eBook ISBN 978-3-319-20929-6, eReference ISBN 978-3-319-20928-9, Print ISBN 978-3-319-20927-2)
- Emotional Intelligence Compendium of 2020 Paper presentations with Summit & Award coverage of most admired leaders, speakers and panel discussions jointly conducted by IIPA and FEIL (https://www.amazon.com/Emotional-Intelligence-Compendium-Paper-Presentations/dp/B08M8GVXGK/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ashis+sen&qid=1605538894&sr=8-4; ISBN-13 : 979-8555451286; ASIN : B08M8GVXGK)
- ‘Is it time to impose a carbon tax’
- ‘Covid-19 and Multi-order Federalism in India’ in Nagarlok- A Quarterly Journal on Urban Affairs, vol LII, Jan-Mar, No.1. ISSN 0027-7584
- ‘Union Budget 2020-21- Macroeconomic Aspects of Indian Economy’ in The Chartered Accountant, vol. 68, No. 9, March.
- ‘Right to Public Service Delivery in Indian States: Legislations and Assessment’ in Nagarlok- A Quarterly Journal on Urban Affairs, vol. LI, Apr-Jun, No.2.
- ‘Strengthening of Panchayats through Devolution’ in Kurukshetra-A Journal of Rural Development by the Union Ministry of Rural Development, Vol. 66, No. 9.
- ‘Best Practices in Urban Governance: A Case Study of Tadipatri Municipality of Anantapuram District of Andhra Pradesh’ in Nagarlok-A Quarterly Journal of Urban Affairs. Vol. L. Apr-Jun No. 2, 2018.
- ‘Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers and Practice of Fiscal Federalism in India’ in Journal of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies, Vol. 51, Nos 1-4, Jan-Dec.
- Review article of a book on IAS: Tale Told by an IASs, in Nagarlok, Vol XLIX, Jul-Sep, No. 3. ISSN 0027-7584
- “Modelling the drivers for sustainable agri-food waste management”, Benchmarking, An International Journal, Vol. 25 Issue: 3, pp. 981.
- Decision tool for climate disasters and infectious disease at sub-national level in India: Ensuring a paradigm shift in health planning from prevalence to vulnerability.
- “India’s grand experiment in corporate social responsibility is heading for trouble”, the Conversation.
- Corporate Social Responsibility across Asia: A Review of Four Countries. In corporate Social Responsibility (pp73-132). Emerald Publishing Ltd.