Centre of Emerging Technologies
Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Sushasan (AI4Sushasan)
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 28th Feb, 2023, while addressing a post-Budget webinar on ‘Unleashing the Potential: Ease of Living Using Technology’, emphasized that in the 21st century, it will be about enabling India through technology and urged citizens to recognize ten societal challenges that could be addressed through Artificial Intelligence. He discussed about the transformative influence of 5G and AI across sectors like industry, medicine, education, and agriculture. PM Modi stressed the importance of establishing specific objectives. He said “Can we identify 10 such problems of the society which can be solved by AI,".
With the vision given by our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to make India a Global Hub for Artificial Intelligence and a Vishawa Mitra in the 21st century it is proposed that a Centre of Excellence for Artificial Intelligence be established at Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
It is proposed that the Centre of Excellence be named Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Sushasan (AI4Sushasan).
The main thrust of the AI4Sushasan will be on Aatma Nirbhar Bharat. The main objectives of the AI4Sushasan will be –
a) In close coordination with multiple Ministries, Departments, State Governments and others in the area of Governance, identify potential use cases where Artificial
Intelligence (AI) can be utilised to help the citizens at large
b) Develop AI platforms to provide the solutions using latest technologies
c) Build AI solutions under Atma Nirbhar Bharat for Good Governance
d) Provide state of the art training for the Government Officers only in multiple areas of Artificial Intelligence
e)Build future talent pool in the Government sector in the area of AI
At the first phase following areas of governance have been identified where AI can be applied to improve the lives of the citizens of India –
The Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Sushasan (AI4Sushasan) – Centre of Excellence (COE) at Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) will be a dedicated initiative that would focus on the development and implementation of AI for good governance. Its primary goal will be to ensure that AI technologies are harnessed in a responsible and ethical manner for good governance and Government Policies are implementation to take India to towards a $5 trillion economy a goal which our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given us.
The COE will serve as a central entity to promote and enable the adoption and implementation of AI technologies. The main functions of COE will typically include:
- Capacity Building – Provide state of the art training programs and resources to educate on AI concepts, technologies, and best practices; promote AI literacy, fostering a culture of AI understanding and awareness
- Strategy – Establish AI strategies aligned with the IIPA’s goals and objectives for consulting projects for governments (Central and State), develop AI frameworks/platforms/tools under Atma Nirbhar Bharat as per the vision of our Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- Governance – Define governance frameworks, policies, and standards for AI implementation, ensuring ethical and responsible AI practices.
- Use Case Identification – Collaborate with various departments and ministries to identify potential AI use cases and opportunities; assess the feasibility and potential impact of applying AI technologies to specific processes and identifies areas where AI can deliver value for Good Governance
- Proof of Concept Development – The COE shall lead in the development of proof of concepts (POCs) and prototypes to demonstrate the viability and effectiveness of AI solutions for Good Governance; it will work closely with stakeholders to design, develop, and evaluate POCs, validate the potential benefits of AI applications
- Data Management and Governance – The COE shall establish data management practices and processes to ensure the availability, quality, and security of data for AI initiatives.; it will collaborate with data governance teams to define data standards, privacy guidelines, and data sharing protocols
- Model Development and Deployment – The AI COE shall support the development and deployment of AI models across the ministries and government departments; it will provide expertise in machine learning, deep learning, and other AI techniques; the COE assists in model selection, development, training, evaluation, and deployment, ensuring models are accurate, robust, and aligned with requirements
- Infrastructure and Tools – The AI COE shall identify and manage the infrastructure and tools required for AI development and deployment; it will evaluate and select AI platforms, frameworks, and technologies that best suit the organization's needs; the COE shall ensure the availability of necessary computational resources and manages the integration of AI tools into existing IT infrastructure
- Collaboration and Knowledge Sharing – The COE shall foster collaboration and knowledge sharing among teams working on AI projects; it will establish communities of practice, organizes workshops, and facilitates forums for sharing AI expertise, challenges, and successes; the COE will promote cross-functional collaboration and learning to accelerate AI adoption
- Performance Monitoring and Evaluation – The COE shall monitor the performance of deployed AI models and evaluate their impact on outcomes; it will establish metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs) to assess model effectiveness, efficiency, and return on investment; the COE shall identify areas for improvement and optimization to ensure continuous enhancement of AI solutions